Saturday, June 1, 2013

Quick and Easy Spring/Summer Pasta

Hello Fellow Foodies!!!


    It feels like it's been a long time since I posted a blog, but in reality it's only been a week. So, like the title says, this was a quick and easy dinner. It was hot and I didn't want anything heavy to eat. I know what you're thinking--- on what planet is pasta not considered  heavy? Well, this pasta dish had a very light tomato sauce that only cooked for about 30 minutes. It came out so flavorful and everyone in my home gobbled their bowl of pasta in seconds...including me which is something I rarely indulge in doing.

     So I'm going to tell you how these 3 items below...

I love this brand of tomato's. I get them from my local fruit market.
 
You can use whatever pasta you want. I had fettuccine in my pantry.
 
I roasted some zucchini and button mushrooms that needed to be used quickly. 400 for 10 min.
Turn into this...

 
 
and finally this...
 



 
Easy Tomato Sauce
 
1 28oz. can whole plum tomato's
 
1 medium onion finely chopped
 
2 cloves of garlic sliced in half
 
3 tbsp. of tomato paste (optional)
 
3 tbsp. olive oil
 
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
 
Fresh basil (optional)
 
salt and pepper to taste
 
 
Directions
 
In a large pot over medium heat add olive oil and onions to the pot. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Next, add your garlic,tomato paste and oregano to the pot and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Then, add your can of whole plum tomato's. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, turn off heat and take a potato masher or you can use a blender if you want a smoother texture and mash or blend sauce. I like chunkier sauces so I used a potato masher. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve over your favorite pasta and dinner is served. I add my roasted vegetables to my sauce after I cut the heat off from under the pot because I didn't want the vegetables to overshadow the tomato flavor.
 
I hope you all have a fun and safe weekend. Oh before I forget I will be posting about my experience making Profiteroles or Cream Puffs. That was an experience I'll never forget.
 
 
Cook Your Hearts Out,
T.S.M